A Rough Plan

Once the travelling bug has set in, it really is hard to control and the only known cure is, well, travelling some more. This time things are a little different, where before I was fortunate enough to be given a 6 month sabbatical from work, this time I have had to quit work completely, it is one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make, but I’m hoping that the lack of time constraints mean I can travel at my own pace and should make the trip even more enjoyable. Second of all I’m hoping that after my last 6 month trip I will have gained a lot of experience on how to travel alone and take comfort in the fact that I now know what to expect, although travelling in different parts of the world always brings along it’s own unique challenges, I’m hoping now that I’m more prepared and in a better position to be able to handle them. Last but not least, for the vast majority of this trip I will be making my through latin america, a part of the world which I know next to nothing about, along with the culture shock, there will also be the challenge of the language barrier, although I spent a lot of time in SE Asia before, speaking English was never a problem and it was fairly easy to get by in most places, however I’ve heard that things are a little different in this part of the world, so learning some Spanish is almost a necessity and I can’t wait to get stuck in.

N&SAmerica-pol
It all looks so easy when looking at the map!

To start things off I will be flying to America, where I will be staying with my friends Eric and Caitlin in Boston, before making my way West to Seattle to meet up with Claire an old travel buddy who I met in Thailand, we are then planning on making our way across the Canadian border to Vancouver, before heading back South to Portland for Independence day (July 4th). From there I will be travelling by myself down the West Coast as far as San Diego, breaking the journey up by taking in as many sights as possible along the way. From here the plan is a little bit loose at the minute, but I am hoping to spend some time in Mexico, before heading South through, Guatemala – where I’m hoping to enrol in a Spanish school for at least a week, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, then onto South America through Colombia, Equador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, and finally end the trip in Brazil. This seems to make sense when looking at a map, but I’m fully expecting things to change along the way, it always does. There are so many places I want to see, but if my plans have to change then I will settle for seeing any number of the countries listed above. This will be without a doubt, the biggest thing I’ve ever done, but I’m ready for the challenge and I can’t wait to get started.

20160615_093229
Obligatory pre-travel selfie

Please keep in touch while I’m away and feel free to comment or ask any questions, travelling can be pretty lonely at times (sob sob) so it would be great to hear from you all.

Advertisements

19 Comments Add yours

1. cd2ct says:

Good luck to you, Drew. I’m SO jealous!

1. drewharrigan says:

Thank you, promises to be an amazing trip!

2. That’s going to be an epic trip! Looking forward to reading of your progress.
    If you’ve got time when you’re in Vancouver it’s worth going an one of the organised whale watching trips to see the killer whales.
    You definitely need to go up Grouse Mountain and do the Capilano Suspension Bridge too while you’re there!

1. drewharrigan says:

Thanks for the tips mate, will be sure to check them out, whale watching sounds amazing!

3. RosarioyANgel says:

Hola

Vivimos en Monterrey, México si vienes acá , no dudes en avisarnos!

Saludos

1. drewharrigan says:

Hi Rosario, if I’m in Monterrey I will definitely let you guys know, would be great to come and visit!

4. Kev Whyte says:

Looking forward to reading your exciting trip mate. Should be a good journey.

1. drewharrigan says:

Cheers mate, hope you enjoy it

5. Andy Cover says:

It takes some courage to quit a safe and secure career, imagine it takes even more to embark on this trip alone. Wish you all the best mate and look forward to reading your updates along your journey. The Blue Hole in Belize is worth seeing I believe, unfortunately I’ve only seen it on TV ☺

1. drewharrigan says:

Thanks Andy, it was a difficult decision but I’m sure it was the right one. I’ve heard about the Blue Hole and it does look pretty incredible, hopefully I get to check it out.

6. Farhana says:

I am so so proud of you! I hope you have an amazing time!

1. drewharrigan says:

Thanks Farhana, keep in touch

7. kscrazy1 says:

I thought my goal of doing all the local hikes on our city map was a big goal..you put me to shame! I need to dream bigger! Can’t wait to hear about everything you get to see and experience!

1. drewharrigan says:

Thanks for the comment! I wouldn’t say it’s putting you to shame, who knows where your hiking will take you next 🙂

8. Adam Aziz says:

Just come across this mate and really pleased you’re keeping a blog! Very much looking forward to hearing how you’re getting on!! A suggestion on getting a head start with your Spanish: Michel Thomas Spanish (http://www.michelthomas.com/learn-spanish.php). Can’t recommend these highly enough. It involves no studying in the traditional way (i.e. books, memorizing etc) but is simply aimed at getting the speaking and listening basics sorted. I used it a while ago and it genuinely works. Good luck mate and keep us posted! Adam

1. drewharrigan says:

Thanks mate, I actually have these audiobooks already as they were recommended to me by someone else. Interesting way to learn, but seems to do the trick!